Be Tech Ready!!

iPhone explodes in man’s pocket; raises concerns over safety


It must have been just another day for Prem Raj Singh from Uttar Pradesh’s Aligarh until his phone started giving off smoke and then abruptly exploded.

This traumatic incident, which is generally associated with lower-end Android phones, has reportedly occurred with Apple’s iPhone.

According to the Times of India, Singh, a businessman from Aligarh, reported that his phone suddenly became hot in his pocket and started emitting smoke. Before he could pull it out of his trouser it exploded, leaving him injured.

“I took the phone out of my pocket and it exploded with a loud sound, splitting into two pieces,” Singh said.

It was reported that there was no evidence of any external factors behind the burning. The device was neither overheating due to extended use nor was connected to a charger.

The report suggested that the iPhone model was at least three years old. The accompanying image of the phone appears to be an iPhone 8 or iPhone 7.

Singh has lodged a complaint against Apple at the Mahua Khera police station.

It should be noted that this is not the first time an iPhone has exploded. Back in 2021, a man from Melbourne had reported that his iPhone X exploded, leaving him with second-degree burns.

Apple’s recent safety advisory

Even though Singh’s incident doesn’t suggest his phone was connected to a charger or was overheating, Apple had recently issued an advisory to avoid such incidents with iPhones.

The Cupertino, California-based company has urged users to not sleep next to a charging phone as it may lead to fires, electric shock, and injuries. It can also cause damage to the phone or property.

Apple advised its customers to charge their phones in a well-ventilated area.

“Keep your iPhone, the power adapter, and any wireless charger in a well-ventilated area when in use or charging,” it said.

Apple also advised against keeping a charging phone under a blanket or a pillow.

“Don’t sleep on a device, power adapter, or wireless charger, or place them under a blanket, pillow, or your body, when it’s connected to a power source,” the advisory read.

The company has also advised people to not use the power adapter in wet locations, such as near a sink, bathtub, or shower stall, and not to connect or disconnect the power adapter with wet hands.